June 19, 2024
SweepSouth reaches milestone cleaning jobs

SweepSouth reaches milestone cleaning jobs

SweepSouth CEO Aisha Pandor and CTO Alen Ribic will introduce an app version of the home-cleaning service in July.

From June 2015 to June this year, SweepSouth domestic workers completed more than 50 000 house cleaning jobs, the company says.

According to SweepSouth founder Aisha Pandor, in the past year, the online home-cleaning platform created work opportunities for 1 000 domestic workers in Johannesburg, Pretoria and Cape Town.

Of those, 71% were previously unemployed, with the remaining 29% citing underemployment as the reason they joined the platform, she says.

The key attraction to cleaners is the flexibility it provides, as they can control when they are active on the platform and independently manage the jobs they take on. The system takes geographic location into account, reducing time and money spent on transport, Pandor explains.

“By tapping into new markets and empowering cleaners to take on multiple or supplementary jobs, we are facilitating the employment of more people, in far less time, at a higher wage,” she states.

Launched in 2014, SweepSouth enables customers to book domestic workers online. The SweepSouth Web site is accessible via phone, tablet or computer, and the company also plans to introduce an app version of its service in July.

The home-cleaning platform targets young professionals with irregular cleaning requirements, holidaymakers, graduates and households that do not need a full-time cleaner.

SweepSouth charges a set rate of R38 per hour, which is only deducted once the client is satisfied with the cleaning job. The cleaners receive 70-80% of the total cleaning fee, which is more than double the current minimum wage.

Training in tech literacy, financial management and client service is available to SweepSouth cleaners because “upskilling your workforce is important for engagement, and it has economic and social benefits”, says Pandor.