Tech billionaire Peter Thiel is updating his Woodland Normanstone mansion with a $1.6 million renovation that features two additions and scrapping an present pool for a brand new one.
In keeping with plans on-line submitted to DCRA, the PayPal co-founder enlisted architects at Georgetown’s Barnes Vanze, which additionally dealt with Jeff Bezos’ D.C. renovation. Horizon Builders, who did Dan Snyder’s Potomac dwelling, amongst different native mega-residential initiatives, is the overall contractor.
- New York-based Paul Renwick Design is doing the interiors.
A number of reno highlights we gleaned from the plans:
- Thiel is blowing out his major bed room to create extra of a set, plus including one other bed room and tub for a complete of seven beds, six full and 4 half bogs.
- A number of inside partitions are being torn right down to reconfigure the house. There are backyard, rec, and screening rooms, plus a chosen area for safety and a employees lounge.
Catch up fast: The Beaux Arts mansion — which Thiel purchased from Trump’s commerce secretary Wilbur Ross for $13 million utilizing an LLC — offers the tech titan an over 6,000-square-foot residential footprint contained in the Beltway.
- A heavy hitter in conservative GOP fundraising circles and a longtime supporter of Donald Trump, Thiel is supporting a number of Trump-backed candidates within the midterms. His software program firm Palantir has an workplace in McLean and is closely concerned in authorities work.
- Thiel’s new neighbors embrace former Trump advisers Kellyanne Conway and Steven Mnuchin.
Of be aware: Pictures submitted to DCRA present the house had an old-money really feel, with gilded chandeliers, one room fully lined in purple (together with the ceiling), and at the very least one rest room lined in inexperienced marble. Thiel is including some extra conventional touches resembling mahogany and French doorways.
Zoom out: Thiel’s international actual property portfolio has included houses in California, Maui, and Miami (the latter sits on an unique man-made island). His plans for an enormous compound on 477 acres of land in New Zealand had been rejected by native officers final month.
Editor’s be aware: This story was corrected to mirror that Wilbur Ross was Trump’s commerce secretary, not labor secretary.